A Dental Office with a Rich History Serving the Marion Community

1971_office

Our office from 1971-2006

photo of Dr. Ray in uniform

Dr. Ray in uniform

Finney Family Dentistry has a rich tradition in serving the Marion, Ohio community and surrounding areas since 1936. Finney Family Dentistry was founded by Dr. Harold “Ray” Raymond Finney, after graduating from The Ohio State University College of Dentistry in 1936. He attended school with financial assistance from the Daughters of the American Revolution. Dr.Ray started his first practice in Marion with fellow dentist Dr. Fiscorn in a small office on Main Street.

World War II beckoned and Dr. Ray answered the call in 1941. His military service took him to Fort Blanding, Florida and then to Tinian Island in the South Pacific. After completing his service to our country, Dr. Ray Finney returned to Marion in 1946 and opened his own practice above the historic Palace Theatre.

photo of dr.bob

Dr. Bob in uniform

Following his graduation, Dr. Bob Finney decided to follow in his father’s footsteps and joined the Army. He served one year at Ft. Benning, Georgia and an additional year in Vietnam where he was an army dentist in An Khe. When Dr. Bob returned from war to Marion, Ohio he was happy to join his father in practice, still above the Palace Theatre until May 1971. The practice thrived thanks to the Marion community and more space was needed. Dr. Ray and Dr. Bob purchased an old Texaco station and remodeled it into a new dental practice where Finney Family Dentistry remained until 2006. Dr. Ray retired from dentistry in 1979 after 43 years of dedicated service to Marion and the surrounding areas.

The third generation of Finney’s joined the family business when Dr. Bob’s son Miles entered the practice after graduating from The Ohio State University College of Dentistry in 2004. In 2006, they built a new facility located on Independence Avenue in Marion, where Finney Family Dentistry remains today.

photo of our current office

Our current office

To complete the Finney Family’s legacy, Dr. Bob’s daughter, Dr. Katherine E. Finney and her husband, Dr. Derek Van Dyke joined the practice after graduating from Case Western School of Dental Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio. Dr. Kate Finney graduated in 2012 and Dr. Derek Van Dyke in 2013. A dental school romance led to the wedding of Kate and Derek in June of 2013.

Dr. Bob practices today with his daughter, Dr. Kate Finney, and Kate’s husband Dr. Derek Van Dyke. Their commitment to excellence and to providing their community with the highest level of care and latest technology has been upheld throughout the years, and continues today with the next generation. Finney Family Dentistry is proud of their “family” of patients and the relationships they have developed over the years. They are excited to continue nurturing those relationships and developing new ones for many years to come.